Director, Product Innovation
Prestige Brands Holdings, Inc. markets and sells well recognized brand name consumer products in two categories: over-the-counter health care products and household cleaning products. We operate in niche segments within these categories in which the strength of our brand names, our established retail distribution network, a low cost operating model and an experienced management team are key to our success. Our brands are sold throughout the United States, Canada, and in certain international markets.
The Scientist will provide product development support to the Product Innovation & Marketing Team at Prestige Brands. A highly organized, analytical, and creative team player will help drive product development from identification of the opportunity and new technologies through commercialization. The Scientist will work across multiple brands within a matrix organization. The individual will have experience working in a highly dynamic and collaborative environment and the ability to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical partners within the organization. A strong R&D product development background and experience in the OTC pharmaceutical industry is preferred.
This position will be based in the Tarrytown, NY Corporate Headquarters.
- Support the identification, development, evaluation, and commercialization of new technologies in multiple brands and categories through the lens of unmet consumer needs. Categories may include oral care, eye care, digestive care, pain relief, skin care, lice treatment, women’s health, and pediatrics. Formulated products of both monograph drugs and dietary supplements will be the major focus but there will be opportunity to learn and work on medical device development, also
- Brainstorm, develop scientific support, and gain alignment with Legal and Regulatory for novel consumer claims.
- Participate in the development and interpretation of consumer research to understand the consumer experience with products and categories, ultimately translating into value enhancement opportunities against specific brand strategies.
- Participate in regular cross-functional NPD meetings throughout the product development process.
- There will be the opportunity for the Scientist to “own” brand-level R&D responsibility for a smaller brand and work directly with marketing on developing and executing NPD pipeline.
- Help manage external teams in development of product formulations. There is not a formulation or analytical lab in the Prestige Brands HQ. Hands on lab work is done by manufacturers, formulation houses, raw material suppliers, etc. The Scientist will help advise and work with the external parties.
Bachelor’s degree in a Scientific or Engineering discipline. (i.e. Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Microbiology, Pharmaceutical sciences/engineering).
3+ years of relevant work experience in one or more of the following areas: R&D Product Development or Technical Transfer, preferably in the Pharmaceutical or Consumer Packaged Goods Industry.
- Capable of quickly gathering high-level understanding of complex technical and scientific issues.
- Demonstrate a global mindset and cultural awareness.
- Excellent organizational, diplomatic, and problem-solving skills and ability to cope well under pressure in an extremely fast-paced entrepreneurial environment.
- Strong Quality Systems background in cGMP environment.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills are required.
- High proficiency in computer skills, including Microsoft Office
- Travel up to 15% mainly in North America.
Physical Activities and Requirements:
- Physical Demands: Ability to stand, sit, lift office materials (books, binders, boxes).
- Work Environment: Office and manufacturing environment. Ability to work on computer, answer phones, speak to internal colleagues and external vendors. Work with surrounding office and manufacturing noise.
- Talking: Especially where one must frequently convey detailed or important instructions or ideas accurately, loudly, or quickly.
- Average Hearing: Able to hear average or normal conversations and receive ordinary information.
- Average Visual Abilities: Average, ordinary, visual acuity necessary to prepare or inspect documents or products, or operate machinery.
- Physical Strength: Sedentary and non-sedentary work; sitting much of the time. Exerts up to 10 lbs..of force occasionally.
Mental Activities and Requirements of this position:
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to deal with a variety of variables under only limited standardization. Able to interpret various instructions.
- Mathematics Ability: Ability to perform basic math skills, use decimals to compute ratios and percents, and to draw and interpret graphs.
- Language Ability: Ability to read a variety of books, magazines, instruction manuals. Ability to prepare memos, reports, and essays using proper punctuation, spelling, and grammar.